Mosaic Serving Tray
- Unfinished wooden tray
- Acrylic paint to paint tray
- Foam brush
- Mosaic glass pieces
- Mosaic glue or Quick Grip
- Sanded grout
- Satin polyurethane varnish
- Kitchen sponge
- Latex gloves
- Optional: decorative cord to wrap handles
- Paint the tray with acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Decide what your pattern (if any) will be by laying your mosaic pieces out in the tray. When you are happy with your design, glue the pieces down. If you are creating an intricate design, you may need a pair of tile nippers to cut mosaic pieces to fit your design.
- Let the mosaic pieces dry for several hours.
- Mix the sanded grout according to package directions, then use a gloved hand to spread the grout into all the cracks between the mosaic pieces. Don't worry if you cover up the glass, as you will clean this up in the next step.
- Before the grout dries, dampen sponge and wipe back all the grout, rinsing off the sponge as you go. Make sure to carefully clean all the glass off before the grout dries on it. Let the grout harden overnight.
- If you need to, go back and touch up any bits of the paint that may have gotten messy in the grouting process.
- Give the entire tray a coat or 2 of varnish. Let dry,
- Wrap the handles with the cord, if desired.